2017 Community Internship Program
Spring Semester 2017
January 9 – May 4, 2017
Thank you for your interest in the 2017 Community Internship Program. This internship is a 15 week program designed to provide you with practical experience in your field of study, personal area of interest, or future career path during which time you will work under the guidance of Wittenberg University faculty and/or Greater Springfield community leaders.
Students must have a GPA of 2.0+ and a minimum of 64 completed credit hours to register for an internship. Any Junior or Senior Wittenberg student may apply. Please submit an online application along with your current resume, and a cover letter addressing the following:
- What interests you in the projects for which you have applied?
- Why do you believe Community Engagement is important?
- What skills or qualifications do you possess that set you apart from others?
- What personal goals would you hope to accomplish during this internship?
Deadline for completing applications is Friday, November 11, at 5pm. Applications should be submitted online. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Sarah Shivler, 937-327-7936.
The internship program hopes to achieve the following goals:
- Increase student interns’ awareness and understanding of urban/community issues.
- Students will explore opportunities to serve the non-profit and government sectors.
- Students will exercise and further develop their leadership, communication and problem solving skills.
- Students will complete projects that provide a community benefit and that meet goals and expectations established by community partners working in collaboration with the Hagen Center.
- Student perceptions about Springfield and Clark County will improve.
- Demonstrate understanding of urban/community issues by articulating project summaries, results and recommendations during final presentations.
- Students will complete a written report to compliment their oral final presentation to be published on a community-based web site.
Your commitment to the internship program includes:
- Completion of the Internship form upon acceptance of the internship http://www.wittenberg.edu/sites/default/files/media/career/forms/Internship%20Agreement%20form.pdf
- Participate in weekly reflection to be held every week throughout the semester, time and day TBD. The orientation and weekly meetings of interns are integral parts of the program and must be completed in order to receive academic credit for the internship.
- Attend the orientation and tour of Springfield during the first week of the internship.
- Final presentation on May 4th for Wittenberg and the Springfield community.
- Final report due with the presentation.
- Pre and Post surveys.
- Three blog posts written during the semester exploring your internship and Springfield Community
The 2017 Community Internship Program will run from Monday, January 9th through Wednesday, May 3th. Final Presentations will be held May 4th. Selected interns will be expected attend weekly reflection sessions on Thursdays from 12pm to 12:50pm, and a tour of Springfield January 8th, 1-5pm. All reflection sessions are mandatory.
Academic credit may be awarded upon completion of this internship based on University policy and student eligibility. Students interested in receiving credit shall be responsible for working with their academic advisor and site supervisor to design a course of action and agreed upon expectations. Hagen Center staff will support such agreements once they are in place.